Virtualization technology has received much attention in modern datacenters in recent years. Isolation is one of the most important advantages of this technology. A perfect isolation among running virtual machines (VMs) means that the performance of each VM is completely independent of other VMs running on the same physical machine (PM), as a result, VMs do not interfere. In today virtual environments, isolation is not guaranteed due to resource contentions occurred in hypervisor level. How VMs are consolidated on the same physical machine (PM) is an important factor in causing resource contentions. In this paper, we investigate the effect of factors such as the number of VMs, network and processor utilization on generating interference and network performance. For studying the effect of workload types, we investigate several experiments and present a model to determine interference. We also present another model for studying the effect of Number of VMs. In the rest, we formulate interference and present scheduling algorithm for avoiding performance degradation.
- VMWare workstation. http://www.vmware.com/products/desktop.
- P .Barham, B .Dragovic, K .Fraser, Xen and the art of virtualization, in, Proceedings of the 19th ACM Symposium on Operating Systems Principles 2003, SOSP 2003, ACM Press, Bolton Landing, NY, USA, October 2003.
- Plex86 Virtual Machine, 2001,http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/plex86.
- R .Nathuji, A .Kansal, Q-Clouds: Managing Performance Interference Effects for QoS-Aware, in, European Conference on Computer Systems, Proceedings of the 5th European conference on Computer systems, EuroSys 2010, Paris, France, 2010.
- Koh, R. Knauerhase, P. Brett, M. Bowman, Z. Wen, C. Pu, An analysis of performance interference effects in virtual environments, in: International Symposium on Performance Analysis of Systems and Software (ISPASS), IEEE, San Jose, California, USA, 2007.
- Pu, L. Liu, Y. Mei, S. Sivathanu, Y. Koh, C. Pu, Understanding Performance Interference of I/O Workload in Virtualized Cloud Environments, in: Proceedings of the 2010 IEEE 3rd International Conference on Cloud Computing, IEEE Computer Society, 2010, pp. 51-58.
- Jian, Z. Xu-Dong, N. Wen-wu, Z. Jun-wei, H. Xiao-ming, Z. Jian-gang, X. Lu, A Performance Isolation Algorithm for Shared Virtualization Storage System, in, IEEE, 2009, pp. 35-42.
- Sharifi, M. Najafzadeh, H. Salimi, Co-management of power and performance in virtualized distributed environments, in: Proceedings of the 6th international conference on Advances in grid and pervasive computing, Springer-Verlag, Oulu, Finland, 2011, pp. 23-32.
- C. Chiang, H.H. Huang, TRACON: interference-aware scheduling for data-intensive applications in virtualized environments, in, IEEE, 2011, pp. 1-12.
- Rose, Survey of system virtualization techniques, Technical report,08-Mar-2004.
- Zhang, L. Cheng, R. Boutaba, Cloud computing: state-of-the-art and research challenges, in, Journal of Internet Services and Applications, May 2010.
- QEMU, Qemu.org, 2010.
- Windows Virtual PC, http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtualpc , 2004.
- Wine Project, Wine user guide, http://www.winehq.com/site/docs/wine-user/index, 2010.
- Kivity, Y. Kamay, D. Laor, Kvm: The linux virtual machine monitor, in, Linux Symposium, 2007.
- Sysbench benchmark suite, http://sysbench.sourceforge.net.
- IPerf, http://iperf.fr/.
- Cpulimit, http://cpulimit.sourceforge.net/.
- MATLAB – The Language of Technical Computing, mathworks.com/products/matlab/.
- Bruno, J. Brustoloni, E. Gabber, Disk scheduling with quality of service guarantees, 1999.
- Munro, Virtual machines and vmware, in, PC Magazine, 2001.
- Foster, Y. Zhao, I.Raicu, S. Lu, Cloud computing and grid computing 360-degree compared, In, IEEE, pp 1-10, 2009.
- Kusic, J. Kephart, J. Hanson, N. Kandasamy, G. Jiang, Power and performance management of virtualized computing environments via lookahead control, in, Cluster Computing, 2009.
- Khanna, K. Beaty, G. Kar, Application performance management in virtualized server environments, in, IEEE Network Operations and Management Symposium, Vancouver, BC, 2006.
- Bobroff, A. Kochut, K. Beaty, Dynamic placement of virtual machines for managing sla violations, In, IEEE, pp 119-128, 2007.
- Khargharia, S. Hariri, F. Yousif, Autonomic power and performance management for computing systems, in, Cluster Computing pp 167-181, 2008.
- Casale, S. Kraft, D. Krishnamurthy, A Model of Storage I/O Performance Interference in Virtualized Systems, in, Distributed Computing Systems Workshops (ICDCSW) 31st International Conference, London, UK, 2011.
- Z. Qian, T. Tung, A Performance Interference Model for Managing Consolidated Workloads in QoS-Aware Clouds, Cloud Computing (CLOUD), 2012 IEEE 5th International Conference on, Seoul, 2012.
- Pu, X.; Liu, L.; Mei, Y.; Sivathanu, S.; Koh, Y.; Pu, C.; Cao, Y.; Liu, L, Net I/O Performance Interference in Virtualized Clouds, Services Computing, IEEE Transactions on, 2012.
- N.M. Mosharaf Kabir Chowdhury, Author VitaeR. Boutaba, A survey of network virtualization, in, Electrical Engineering and Computer Sciences, University of California, Berkeley, CA 94702, United States, 2009.
- Irfan, Virtualization with KVM, Linux Journal, Volume 2008 Issue 166, February 2008.
- Uhlig, G. Neiger, D. Rodgers, Intel virtualization technology, in, Computer, USA, May 2005.
- Y. Zhang, A. Sivasubramaniam, Q. Wang, Storage Performance Virtualization via Throughput and Latency Control, in, Modeling, Analysis, and Simulation of Computer and Telecommunication Systems, 13th IEEE International Symposium, 2005.
- Cherkasova, R.Gardner, Measuring CPU overhead for I/O processing in the Xen virtual machine monitor, in, Proc. of 2005 USENIX Annual Technical Conference, Anaheim, CA, USA, 2005.
- Gupta, L. Cherkasova, R. Gardner, A. Vahdat, Enforing performance isolation across virtual machines in Xen, in, ACM/IFIP/USENIX 7th International Middleware Conference , Melbourne Australia, November 2006.
- Padala, X. Zhu, Z. Wang, S. Singhal, K. Shin, Performance evaluation of virtualization technologies for server consolidation, HP Laboratories Report, NO. HPL-2007-59R1, September 2008.